This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 1. General Physical Conditions and Structures Orders
Article 4. Access, Work Space, and Work Areas
§3270. Access General.
(a) Access to every permanent elevated work location shall be by means of either fixed ladders or permanent ramps or stairways.
Note:For ramp requirements see Section 3232 of these Orders. For stairway requirements see Section 3234 of these Orders. For fixed ladder requirements see Section 3277 of these Orders.
(b) Every permanent elevated work location, where there is machinery, equipment, or material which is customarily operated or frequently repaired, serviced, adjusted, or otherwise handled and every other permanent elevated work location, shall be provided with a safe platform or maintenance runway.
(c) Access shall be provided to all equipment and appliances except those located on roofs of dwellings and their accessory buildings. Note:For mobile vehicles and equipment, see Section 3210(b), Exception No. 9.
||(1) Access to elevator machinery rooms shall comply with the Elevator Safety Orders.(1) Access to elevator machinery rooms shall comply with the Elevator Safety Orders. (2) This Article does not apply to overhead electric and communication systems, overhead line shaft bearings and clutches, valves, or similar controls which are infrequently serviced or operated from safely hooked or otherwise stable or fixed ladders or to cranes covered more specifically elsewhere in these Orders.
(d) Every permanent pit, sump, or other sunken location 30 inches or more in depth in, or from which, machinery, equipment, or materials are customarily operated or frequently repaired, serviced, adjusted, or otherwise handled shall be provided with a safe means of access. Such means of access shall be provided by means of either portable or fixed ladders or permanent stairways. Note: Access to electrical equipment shall not be less than that required by the Electrical Safety Orders, Title 8, CCR.
|| Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
2. Amendment of subsections (a) and (d) filed 9-3-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 36).
3. Amendment of subsection (c) and repealer of subsection (d) filed 3-3-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 10).
4. Amendment filed 2-26-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 9).
5. Change without regulatory effect adding Note for subsection (b) and amending Note for subsection (c) filed 7-18-2006 pursuant to section 100, title 1,California Code of Regulations (Register 2006, No. 29).
6. Amendment of section and Note filed 2-29-2008; operative 3-30-2008 (Register 2008, No. 9).
Go Back to Article 4 Table of Contents