|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) The total width of exits in feet shall be not less than the total occupant load served divided by 50. Such width of exits shall be divided approximately equally among the separate exits. The total exit width required from any story of a building shall be determined by using the occupant load of that story, plus the percentages of the occupant loads of floors which exit through the level under consideration as follows:
(1) Fifty percent of the occupant load in the first adjacent story above and the first adjacent story below, when a story below exits through the level under consideration.
(2) Twenty-five percent of the occupant load in the story immediately beyond the first adjacent story.
The maximum exit width required from any story of a building shall be maintained.
(Title 24, Part 2, Section 3302(b).)
(b) The minimum width of any way of exit shall in no case be less than 28 inches. Where a single way of exit leads to an exit, its capacity in terms of width shall be at least equal to the required capacity of the exit to which it leads. Where more than one way of exit leads to an exit, each shall have a width adequate for the number of persons it must accommodate. (Title 24, Part 2, Section 3302(h).)
(c) Every portion of every building in which are installed seats, tables, merchandise, equipment or similar materials shall be provided with aisles leading to an exit. (Title 24, Part 2, Section 3313(a).)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code; and Section 18943(c).
1. New section filed 6-20-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 25).
2. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
3. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 12-23-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 52).
4. Amendment filed 5-25-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 22). Approved by State Building Standards Commission 1-24-83.
Go Back to Article 2 Table of Contents