| Return to index
(a) Application. These safety orders are applicable to all passenger tramways operated in the State of California.
(1) Passenger tramways existing at the time of the effective date of these orders shall be brought into compliance by April 22, 1995.
Exception to Section 3150(a)(1): Lifts designed and installed prior to January 1, 1989 provided the plans for the lifts were submitted and accepted by the Division.
NOTE: All lifts shall comply with the "Operation and Maintenance" standards of these orders.
(2) These orders shall not include lumber or freight handling aerial tramways or hand powered tramways.
(b) Major Alterations. A major alteration shall be defined as one that is a change in:
(1) The design speed of the system; or
(2) The capacity by changing the number of carriers, spacing of carriers, or load capacity of carriers; or
(3) The path of the rope; or
(4) The type of brakes and/or backstops or components thereof; or
(5) Structural arrangements; or
(6) Power or type of prime mover.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subchapter and article headings, repealer of section, and new section filed 3-23-93; operative 4-22-93 (Register 93, No. 13). For prior history, see Register 73, No. 1.
2. Amendment of subsection (a)(1) filed 8-25-95; operative 9-24-95 (Register 95, No. 34).
Go Back to Article 1 Table of Contents