| Return to index
(a) Devices Required.
Operating and safety devices shall be provided conforming to the following requirements:
(1) Starting switches shall be of the key-operated, spring return-type and shall be located within sight of the exposed treadway.
(2) Emergency stop buttons or other types of manually operated switches having red buttons or handles shall be accessibly located at every entrance to and exit from a moving walk, and shall be protected against accidental operation. The operation of any of these buttons or switches shall interrupt the power to the driving machine and to the brake, where provided. It shall be impossible to start the driving machine by these buttons or switches.
(3) Where the driving machine is connected to the main drive shaft by a chain, and where a brake is located on that shaft when required by Section 3091(n)(2), a device shall be provided which will cause the application by such brake if the drive chain parts.
(4) Moving walks required by Section 3091(n)(2) to be equipped with a brake, or which are driven by a direct current motor, shall be provided with a speed governor which will cause the interruption of power to the driving machine and to the brake, where provided, should the speed of the treadway exceed a predetermined value, which shall be not more than 40 percent above the maximum designed treadway speed.
1. Moving walks driven by low slip-alternating current induction motors directly connected to the driving machine do not require speed governors.
2. Moving walks driven by low slip-alternating current induction motors connected to the driving machine by belts or chains, where a device is provided which will cause interruption of power to the motor and apply the brake should the belts lose driving tension or should the belts or chains break.
(5) A device shall be provided which will cause interruption of power to the driving machine and to the brake, where provided, if the connecting means between pallets break.
(6) Where a device is required to interrupt power, such interruption shall be not subject to intentional delay. The use of a supplemental and independent device with or without intentional delay is permissible.
(7) Each space containing moving parts, where a means of access is provided, shall be equipped with a stop switch located adjacent to the access door or panel. The stop switches shall:
(A) Be of the manually opened and closed type.
(B) Be conspicuously and permanently marked, "STOP."
(C) Be positively opened mechanically and their opening shall not be solely dependent on springs.
(D) When opened, cause electric power to be removed from the moving walk driving machine motor and brake.
(b) Electrical Equipment and Wiring. Electrical equipment and wiring shall conform to CCR, Title 24, Part 3, Article 620.
(c) Access and Work Space. Sufficient clearance shall be provided within the machine room for safe access as required for inspection and maintenance, and safe access shall be provided to the machine room.
Floor access panels, in excess of 70 pounds, shall be counterbalanced or provided with means to lift and move the panel away from the machinery space.
(d) Guarding in Machine Space. On pallet type moving walks, a guard shall be provided between the machine room and the pallets to prevent accidental contact with the moving pallets.
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3092)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a)(1) filed 6-23-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 26).
2. Amendment of subsection (a)(7) filed 12-22-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 1).
3. Amendment of subsections (b) and (d) and Note filed 6-29-94; operative 7-29-94 (Register 94, No. 26).
Go Back to Article 14 Table of Contents