| Return to index
(1) A pit shall be provided for every elevator. In every pit a stop switch conforming to the requirements of subsection 3040(b)(7) shall be provided. [1500.3a]
(2) Access to pits over 3 ft. (.91 m) above or below the pit access door shall comply with the requirements of subsection 3016(d)(4) and (5).
(3) Pits shall be equipped and maintained to comply with the requirements of subsections 3016(e), (f) and (g), except that the light may be omitted if the elevator is exterior to the building.
(4) Where necessary because liquid can collect, design and construction of pits shall comply with the requirements of subsection 3016(b).
(b) Protection of spaces below hoistways not extending to the lowest level of the structure shall conform to the applicable requirements of Section 3019. [1500.3b]
(c) Bottom runby shall conform to the requirements of subsections 3017(a), (b), (c) and (d). [1500.3c]
(d) There shall be a clearance of not less than 30 in. (762 mm) from the highest projection of the car top and/or the crosshead and the nearest part of the overhead structure, when the counterweight is resting on its fully compressed buffer. For rack and pinion elevators without counterweights, there shall be a clearance of not less than 30 in. (762 mm) from the highest projection of the car top and the nearest part of the overhead structure, when the car has reached the uppermost limit of its travel. [1500.3d]
(e) A floor conforming to the requirements of subsection 3010(d) shall be provided at the top of the hoistway. [1500.3e]
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3085.4)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction of subsection (a)(4) (Register 95, No. 34).
Go Back to Article 12.3 Table of Contents