| Return to index
(a) Except at the entrance, cars shall be fully enclosed with metal at sides and top. The enclosure at the sides shall be solid or of openwork which will reject a ball of 1 in. (25 mm) in diameter. Glass, or other transparent materials, if used as part of the enclosure, shall comply with the requirements of subsection 3034(b)(5). The minimum clear height inside the car shall be 78 in. (1.98 m). [1502.5a]
(b) The car enclosure shall be secured to the platform in such a manner that it cannot work loose or become displaced in regular service. [1502.5b]
(c) Each car shall be provided with an electric light and a light control switch. The light shall provide illumination of at least 2 1/2 foot candles (27 1x) at the landing edge of the car platform. Car lights and convenience outlets shall be fed from a separate branch circuit, independent of the motor circuit power feeders. [1502.5c]
(d) When car size and construction permit, an emergency exit with a cover shall be provided in the top of the elevator car enclosure conforming to the following requirements:
(1) The exit opening shall have an area of not less than 352 in.2 (0.227 m2), and shall not measure less than 16 in. (406 mm) on any side.
(2) The exit shall be so located as to provide a clear passageway unobstructed by fixed elevator equipment located in, or on top of, the car.
(3) The exit shall open outward and shall be hinged, or otherwise attached, to the car top.
(4) The exit cover shall be equipped with a switch or contact that, when opened, will cause a device to remove power from the machine motor and brake. The exit cover switch or contact shall be of a manual reset type. [1502.5d]
(e) Where the machine or control panel are located on the car top, the following shall be provided:
(1) Standard guardrails and toeboard;
(2) Worklight, light switch and convenience outlet; and
(3) Car top operating station conforming to subsection 3040(a)(4).
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3085.15)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction of subsection (b) (Register 95, No. 34).