| Return to index
(a) Normal Terminal Stopping Devices.
Normal terminal stopping devices shall be provided, conforming to the requirements of Section 3039(a).
1. The device shall be so designed and installed that it will continue to function until the car reaches its extreme limits of travel.
2. The bottom terminal stopping device may be made ineffective while the car is under control of the top-of-car operating device.
3. The switch contacts shall be directly opened mechanically. Arrangements which depend on a spring, or gravity, or a combination of both, to open the switch contacts, shall not be used.
(b) Emergency Terminal Stopping Devices. Emergency terminal stopping devices shall be installed at the top of the hoistway for rated car speeds of more than 100 feet per minute and shall conform to the following:
(1) They shall operate independently of the normal terminal stopping device should this device fail to slow down the car at the terminal as intended.
(2) They shall retard the car to 100 feet per minute with a retardation not greater than gravity before the plunger reaches its limit of travel in the up direction.
(3) At least two control means are required, one controlled by the emergency terminal stopping device and another by the normal terminal stopping device.
(4) A single short circuit caused by a combination of grounds or by other conditions shall not prevent the functioning of the emergency terminal stopping device.
EXCEPTION: Where the plunger is provided with a device to retard the car to 100 feet per minute, with a retardation not greater than gravity, before the plunger reaches its extreme limit of travel, emergency terminal stopping devices are not required.
(c) Final Terminal Stopping Devices. Final terminal stopping devices are not required.
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3070)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code; and Section 18943, Health and Safety Code.
1. New NOTE filed 12-8-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 50).
2. New Exception 3. to subsection (a), statement prior to Note and amendment of Note filed 3-9-93; operative 4-8-93 (Register 93, No. 11).