| Return to index
(a) Car Buffers or Bumpers
(1) Car buffers shall be provided for elevators having a maximum speed of more than 50 feet per minute in the down direction.
(2) Car bumpers or buffers shall be provided for elevators having a maximum speed of less than 50 feet per minute in the down direction.
(3) Car buffers or bumpers shall conform to the requirements of Section 3031 except that the stroke and retardation requirements for hydraulic elevators shall be based on the maximum speed in the down direction.
Where the cylinder is an integral part of the car frame and takes the buffer reactions directly, the buffers shall be arranged symmetrically with respect to the cylinder.
(4) Car buffers or bumpers shall be located so that the car will come to rest on the bumper or on the fully compressed buffer before the plunger or cylinder reaches its down limit of travel.
(b) Counterweight Buffers. Where counterweights are provided, counterweight buffers shall not be provided.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsections (a)(3) and (a)(4) filed 11-24-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 48).
2. New NOTE filed 12-8-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86. No. 50).
Go Back to Article 9 Table of Contents