|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Protection of Usable Space Below Hoistways. Where the space below the hoistway is used for a passageway, is occupied by persons, or if unoccupied is not permanently sealed against access, the following requirements shall be conformed to:
(1) The cylinder shall be supported by a structure of sufficient strength to support the entire load that may be imposed upon it; and
(2) No counterweights will be permitted.
(3) The car shall be provided with buffers of one of the following types:
(A) Oil buffers conforming to Section 3061(a).
(B) Spring buffers of a design which will not be fully compressed when struck by the fully loaded car at the maximum speed attained in the down direction.
(4) Car buffer supports shall be provided which will withstand, without permanent deformation, the impact resulting from buffer engagement by the car with its rated load at the maximum speed attained in the down direction.
(b) Protection of Cylinders and Piping. Cylinders and piping that pass through areas where vehicles may contact them shall be protected by guards or barriers. (Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3056)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New NOTE filed 12-8-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (register 86. No. 50).
Go Back to Article 9 Table of Contents