| Return to index
(a) Between Car and Hoistway Enclosure. The clearance between the car and the hoistway enclosure, or any projection in the hoistway, shall not be less than 1 in. (25mm) except on the sides used for loading and unloading.
(b) Between Car and Counterweight and Counterweight Screen. The clearance between the car and the counterweight shall be not less than 1 in. (25mm). The clearance between the counterweight and the counterweight screen and between the counterweight and the hoistway enclosure, or any projection in the hoistway, shall be not less than 3/4 in. (19mm).
(c) Between Cars in Multiple Hoistways. The running clearance between the cars and any equipment attached thereto, of elevators operating in a multiple hoistway, shall be not less than 2 in. (51mm). This clearance must be increased when guards between adjacent pits are required.
(d) Between Cars and Landing Sills. The clearance between the car platform sill and the hoistway edge of any landing sill, or the hoistway side of any vertically sliding counterweighted hoistway door or of any vertically sliding counterbalanced biparting hoistway door, shall be not less than 1/2 in. (13mm) where side steel guides are used, and not less than 3/4 in. (19mm) where corner steel guides are used. The maximum clearance shall be not more than 11/2 in. (38mm). Where wood guides are used, the clearance shall be not less than 3/4 in. (19mm).
(e) Between Landing Side of Car Platforms and Hoistway Enclosures. The clearance between the edge of the car platform sill and the hoistway enclosure or fascia plate for the full width of the clear car entrance opening shall be not more than 5 in. (127mm).
EXCEPTIONS to subsection 3018(e):
1. The clearance may be increased to not more than 71/2 in. (190mm) for vertically sliding hoistway doors of the pass type or of the heavy duty type requiring special sills for extra wide openings.
2. Existing elevators whose hoistways are equipped with vertically sliding hoistway gates in which a clearance of not more than 6 in. (152mm) is permitted for that distance necessary for operation of the gates plus 24 in. (610mm).
3. Existing elevators which can be started only from the car in which a clearance of not more than 6 in. (152mm) is permitted.
4. Existing elevators which have been equipped with interlocked or contact locked car gates or interlocked car doors at the entrance where the clearance exceeds 5 in. (127mm) provided the lock is inaccessible from inside the car. Interlocks arranged to comply with Section 3021(d)(1)(D) are acceptable.
(f) Elevators Without Car Doors or Gates.
(1) Where an elevator is exempted under these regulations from installation of a car door or gate, the sides of hoistways opposite car entrances shall be smooth and free from protruding objects or recesses within 4 in. (102mm) of the car platform, unless such protruding objects or tops of recesses be smoothly and solidly beveled at an angle of not less than 60 O degrees from the horizontal.
EXCEPTION to subsection 3018(f)(1):
Projections or recesses which are less than 1 in. (25mm).
(2) New installations or replacements of the beveled surfaces required by Section 3018(f)(1) shall be one of the following:
(A) Metal plates not less than No. 10 M.S. gage 0.138 in. (3.5mm).
(B) Metal sheets not less than No. 16 M.S. gage 0.061 in. (1.5mm) backed with wood or concrete.
(C) Smooth beveled concrete.
(g) Measurement of Clearances. The clearances specified in Section 3018 shall be measured with no load on the car platform.
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3018.)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 6-23-87; operative 6-23-87 (Register 87, No. 27).
2. Editorial correction of subsection (d) (Register 95, No. 26).