|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Location. Counterweights shall be located only in the hoistway of the elevator they serve.
(b) Counterweight Pit Guards. Counterweight runway enclosures of unperforated metal, extending from a point not more than 12 in. (305mm) above the pit floor to a point not less than 7 ft (2.13m) above the pit floor, shall be installed on the open side or sides of all counterweights, except this enclosure may be omitted on the side facing the car where compensating ropes or chains are attached to the counterweight.
EXCEPTIONS to subsection 3013(b):
1. Where oil buffers are installed under the counterweights in the pits of new installations, the enclosure, where required, shall extend from a point even with the bottom of the buffer stroke to a height of not less than 7 ft (2.13m) above the pit floor.
2. Elevators installed before June 5, 1947.
The enclosure shall be fastened to a metal frame adequately reinforced and braced to be at least equal in strength and stiffness to No. 14 M.S. gage steel.
(c) Guarding of Counterweights in a Multiple-Elevator Hoistway.
(1) Where counterweights are located between elevators in a hoistway having more than one elevator, the counterweight shall be guarded for the entire height of the hoistway. The guard shall extend at least 6 inches horizontally beyond each counterweight rail. The guard shall be made from wire-mesh material equal to or stronger than .048-inch diameter wire with openings not exceeding 1/2 inch, securely fastened to keep the guard taut and plumb.
(2) The guarding of counterweights required in Section 3013(c)(1) shall be accomplished within three years of the effective date of this regulation.
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3013.)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 6-23-87; operative 6-23-87 (Register 87, No. 27).
2. New subsections (c)-(c)(2) filed 7-9-97; operative 8-8-97 (Register 97, No. 28).
Go Back to Article 7 Table of Contents