|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Wiring Methods in Hoistways and Machine Rooms. The installation of all electrical wiring in hoistways and machine rooms, except as may be provided elsewhere in these regulations, shall comply with CCR, Title 24, Part 3, Article 620.
(b) Installation of Pipes and Ducts Conveying Gases, Vapors, or Liquids in Hoistways, Machine Rooms, or Machinery Spaces. Pipes or ducts conveying gases, vapors, or liquids, and not used in connection with the operation of the elevator, shall not be installed in any hoistway, machine room, or machinery space.
EXCEPTIONS to subsection 3012(b):
1. Pipes or ducts that were installed before June 5, 1947, and which convey gases, vapors, or liquids which if discharged into the hoistway would not endanger life.
2. Steam and hot water pipes may be installed in hoistways, machine rooms, or machinery spaces for the purpose of heating these areas only, subject to the following:
a. Heating pipes shall convey only low pressure steam (5 psi (34 kpa) or less) or hot water (212o F (100o C) or less).
b. All risers and return pipes shall be located outside the hoistway.
c. Traps and shut-off valves shall be provided in accessible locations outside the hoistway.
3. Ducts for heating, cooling, ventilating, and venting may be installed in the machine room, subject to the following:
a. Clear headroom of 7 ft (2.13m) is maintained.
b. Clear workspace around all elevator equipment is maintained.
c. No inspection covers, adjustable dampers or clean-outs are installed in the elevator machine room.
4. Pipes for sprinklers only may be installed in these spaces subject to the following:
a. All risers and returns shall be located outside these spaces.
b. Branch lines in the hoistway shall supply sprinklers at not more than one floor level.
c. Shut-off valves shall be provided at accessible locations outside these spaces.
d. Sprinkler heads shall be guarded against accidental contact.
5. Piping and wiring for elevator pit sump pumps may be installed in the hoistway. See Section 3016(b).
(Title 24, Part 7, Section 7-3012.)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (b)(3) filed 6-23-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 26).
2. Amendment filed 6-23-87; operative 6-23-87 (Register 87, No. 27).
3. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 6-29-94; operative 7-29-94 (Register 94, No. 26).
4. Editorial correction of subsection (b) Exception 2a (Register 95, No. 26).
Go Back to Article 7 Table of Contents