| Return to index
(a) All excavations shall be performed in accordance with the provisions of Article 6 of the Construction Safety Orders, Title 8, California Administrative Code.
(b) (1) A designated employee shall be used in directing mobile equipment adjacent to footing excavations.
(2) No one shall be permitted to remain in the footing excavation while equipment is being spotted for placement.
(c) (1) Guy lines shall be used as necessary to maintain sections or parts of sections in position and to reduce the possibility of tipping.
(2) Members and sections being assembled shall be adequately supported.
(d) When assembling and erecting towers the provisions of (1), (2) and (3) following shall be complied with.
(1) The construction of transmission towers and the erecting of poles, hoisting machinery, site preparation machinery, and other types of construction machinery shall conform to the applicable requirements of this article.
(2) No one shall be permitted under a tower which is in the process of erection or assembly, except as may be required to guide and secure the section being set.
(3) When erecting towers using hoisting equipment adjacent to energized transmission lines, the minimum clearance distances required by Section 2940.2(b), Table 2940.2 shall be maintained.
(e) (1) Erection cranes shall be set on a firm foundation and when the cranes are so equipped, outriggers shall be used.
(2) Tag lines shall be utilized to maintain control of tower sections being raised and positioned.
(3) The loadline shall not be detached from a tower section until the section is adequately secured.
(4) Except during emergency restoration procedures, erection shall be discontinued in the event of high wind or other adverse weather conditions which would make the work hazardous.
(5) Equipment and rigging shall be regularly inspected and shall be maintained in a safe operating condition.
(f) Traffic control shall be provided in accordance with provisions of Article 11, Sections 1598 and 1599 of the Construction Safety Orders, Title 8, California Administrative Code.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 12-10-87; operative 1-9-88 (Register 88, No. 1).