| Return to index
(a) The converting apparatus (including the dc line) and high-frequency electric circuits (excluding the output circuits and remote-control circuits) shall be completely contained within enclosures of noncombustible material.
(b) All panel controls shall be of dead-front construction.
(c) Doors or detachable panels shall be employed for internal access. Where doors are used giving access to voltages from 500 to 600 volts ac or dc, either door locks shall be provided or interlocks shall be installed. Detachable panels not normally used for access to such parts shall be fastened in a manner that will make them difficult to remove (for example, by requiring the use of tools).
(d) Warning labels or signs that read "DANGER -HIGH VOLTAGE -KEEP OUT" shall be attached to the equipment and shall be plainly visible where persons might contact energized parts when doors are opened or closed or when panels are removed from compartments containing over 250 volts ac or dc.
(e) Induction and dielectric heating equipment shall be protected as follows:
(1) Protective cages or adequate shielding shall be used to guard work applicators other than induction heating coils.
(2) Induction heating coils shall be protected by insulation or refractory materials or both.
(3) Interlock switches shall be used on all hinged access doors, sliding panels, or other such means of access to the applicator, unless the applicator is an induction heating coil at dc ground potential or operating at less than 150 volts ac.
(4) Interlock switches shall be connected in such a manner as to remove all power from the applicator when any one of the access doors or panels is open.
(f) A readily accessible disconnecting means shall be provided by which each heating equipment can be isolated from its supply circuit. The ampere rating of this disconnecting means shall not be less than the nameplate current rating of the equipment. The supply circuit disconnecting means is permitted as a heating equipment disconnecting means where the circuit supplies only one piece of equipment.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).