|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Each sign and outline lighting system, or feeder circuit or branch circuit supplying a sign or outline lighting system, shall be controlled by an externally operable switch or circuit breaker that will open all ungrounded conductors.
1. A disconnecting means is not required for an exit directional sign located within a building.
2. A disconnecting means is not required for cord-connected signs with an attachment plug.
(b) Each outline lighting installation, and each sign of other than the portable type, shall be controlled by an externally operable switch or breaker which will open all ungrounded conductors.
The disconnecting means shall be within sight of the sign or outline lighting which it controls.
Exception: Signs operated by electronic or electromechanical controllers located external to the sign shall have a disconnecting means located within sight from the controller location. The disconnecting means shall disconnect the sign and the controller from all ungrounded supply conductors and shall be so designed that no pole can be operated independently. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be in the same enclosure with the controller. The disconnecting means shall be capable of being locked in the "open" position.
(c) For installations built on or after May 5, 2008 signs and outline lighting systems located within fountains shall have the disconnect located at least 5.0 feet (1.52 m) from the inside walls of the fountain.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
3. Repealer of subheading and amendment of section heading, section and Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 73 Table of Contents