|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Each motor shall be provided with an individual disconnecting means.
Exception: A single disconnecting means shall be permitted to serve a group of motors under any one of the following conditions:
(1) Where a number of motors drive several parts of a single machine or piece of apparatus, such as metal or woodworking machines, cranes, and hoists.
(2) Where a group of motors is in a single room within sight from the location of the disconnecting means.
(3) Where a group of motors is under the protection of one set of branch-circuit protective devices.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment of subsections (a)(1) and (a)(2), new subsection (a)(3) and amendment of Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 56 Table of Contents