| Return to index
(a) Flexible cords and cables shall be approved for conditions of use and location.
(b) Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for:
(2) wiring of fixtures;
(3) connection of portable lamps or appliances;
(4) portable and mobile signs;
(5) elevator cables;
(6) wiring of cranes and hoists;
(7) connection of stationary equipment to facilitate their frequent interchange;
(8) prevention of the transmission of noise or vibration;
(9) appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are designed to permit removal for maintenance and repair;
(10) data processing cables as a part of the data processing system;
(11) connection of moving parts; and
(12) temporary wiring as permitted in Article 13 of these Low-Voltage Electrical Safety Orders.
(c) Where used as permitted in subsections (b)(3), (b)(7), and (b)(9) above, each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from an approved receptacle outlet.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
3. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
4. Change without regulatory effect designating former duplicate subsection (b) as subsection (c) filed 7-18-2008 pursuant to section 100, title 1,California Code of Regulations (Register 2008, No. 29).
5. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (c) filed 1-15-2009 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2009, No. 3).
Go Back to Article 49 Table of Contents