|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Conductors entering cutout boxes, cabinets, or fittings shall be protected from abrasion, and openings through which conductors enter shall be effectively closed.
(b) Unused openings in cabinets, boxes, and fittings shall be effectively closed.
(c) Where cable is used, each cable shall be secured to the cabinet, cutout box, or meter socket enclosure. However, where cable with an entirely nonmetallic sheath enters the top of a surface-mounted enclosure through one or more nonflexible raceways not less than 18 in. (457 mm) or more than 10 feet (3.05 m) in length, the cable need not be secured to the cabinet, box, or enclosure provided all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each cable is fastened within 12 in. (305 mm) of the outer end of the raceway, measured along the sheath;
(2) The raceway extends directly above the enclosure and does not penetrate a structural ceiling;
(3) A fitting is provided on each end of the raceway to protect the cable from abrasion, and the fittings remain accessible after installation;
(4) The raceway is sealed or plugged at the outer end using approved means so as to prevent access to the enclosure through the raceway;
(5) The cable sheath is continuous through the raceway and extends into the enclosure not less than 0.25 in. (6.35 mm) beyond the fitting;
(6) The raceway is fastened at its outer end and at other points as necessary; and
(7) Where installed as conduit or tubing, the allowable cable fill does not exceed that permitted for complete conduit or tubing systems.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendmentof article heading and new section filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5- 2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 45 Table of Contents