| Return to index
(a) The exposed noncurrent-carrying metal parts of cord- and plug-connected equipment that may become energized shall be grounded under any of the following conditions:
(1) Utilization equipment used in hazardous (classified) locations (See Article 59).
(2) Any electric equipment which is operated at over 150 volts to ground.
(3) If the equipment is of the following types:
(A) Refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners.
(B) Clothes-washing, clothes-drying and dishwashing machines, sump pumps, and electrical aquarium equipment.
(C) Hand-held motor-operated tools, stationary and fixed motor-operated tools, and light industrial motor-operated tools.
(D) Motor-operated tools and utilization equipment of the following types: drills, hedge clippers, lawn mowers, snow blowers, wet scrubbers, sanders and saws.
(E) Cord- and plug-connected appliances used in damp or wet locations or by persons standing on the ground or on metal or exposed concrete floors or working inside of metal tanks or boilers.
(F) Portable and mobile x-ray and associated equipment.
(G) Portable hand lamps.
(H) Tools likely to be used in wet and conductive locations.
EXCEPTIONS to 2395.45: The following equipment shall not be required to be grounded:
(1) Listed portable tools or utilization equipment likely to be used in wet and conductive locations if supplied through an isolating transformer with an ungrounded secondary of not over 50 volts.
(2) Listed or labeled portable tools and utilization equipment protected by an approved system of double insulation. Where such a system is employed, the equipment shall be distinctively marked.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 3-20-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter
(Register 79, No. 12). For history of former section, see Register 75, No. 42.
2. Amendment filed 2-1-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 6).
3. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
4. Amendment deleting Title 24 cross reference filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
5. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).