|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Metal cable trays, metal raceways, and metal enclosures for conductors shall be grounded, except that:
(1) Metal enclosures such as sleeves that are used to protect cable assemblies from physical damage need not be grounded; and
(2) Metal enclosures for conductors added to existing installations of open wire, knob-and-tube wiring, and nonmetallic-sheathed cable need not be grounded if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) Runs are less than 25.0 feet (7.62 meters);
(B) Enclosures are free from probable contact with ground, grounded metal, metal laths, or other conductive materials; and
(C) Enclosures are guarded against employee contact.
(b) Metal enclosures for service equipment shall be grounded.
(c) Frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and metal outlet or junction boxes that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be grounded.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment deleting subsection (a) designation only filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
3. Amendment of section heading, repealer and new section and amendment of Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 11 Table of Contents