| Return to index
(a) Metal cable trays, metal raceways, and metal enclosures for conductors shall be grounded, except that:
(1) Metal enclosures such as sleeves that are used to protect cable assemblies from physical damage need not be grounded; and
(2) Metal enclosures for conductors added to existing installations of open wire, knob-and-tube wiring, and nonmetallic-sheathed cable need not be grounded if all of the following conditions are met:
(A) Runs are less than 25.0 feet (7.62 meters);
(B) Enclosures are free from probable contact with ground, grounded metal, metal laths, or other conductive materials; and
(C) Enclosures are guarded against employee contact.
(b) Metal enclosures for service equipment shall be grounded.
(c) Frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, clothes dryers, and metal outlet or junction boxes that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be grounded.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
2. Amendment deleting subsection (a) designation only filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
3. Amendment of section heading, repealer and new section and amendment of Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).