|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) For a grounded system, a grounding electrode conductor shall be used to connect both the equipment grounding conductor and the grounded circuit conductor to the grounding electrode. Both the equipment grounding conductor and the grounding electrode conductor shall be connected to the grounded circuit conductor on the supply side of the service disconnecting means, or on the supply side of the system disconnecting means or overcurrent devices if the system is separately derived.
(b) For an ungrounded service-supplied system, the equipment grounding conductor shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor at the service equipment. For an ungrounded separately derived system, the equipment grounding conductor shall be connected to the grounding electrode conductor at, or ahead of, the system disconnecting means or overcurrent devices.
(c) On extensions of existing branch circuits that do not have an equipment grounding conductor, grounding-type receptacles may be grounded to a grounded cold water pipe near the equipment if the extension was installed before May 5, 2008.
(1) When any element of this branch circuit is replaced, the entire branch circuit shall use an equipment grounding conductor that complies with all other provisions of Article 11.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of Exception No. 3 and subsection (b), and new subsection (c) filed 3-20-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 12).
2. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
3. Repealer and new section filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
4. Amendment of section heading, section and Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5- 5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 11 Table of Contents