| Return to index
(a) Except as elsewhere required or permitted by these orders, energized parts of electric equipment operating at 50 volts or more shall be guarded against accidental contact by use of approved cabinets or other forms of approved enclosures or by any of the following means:
(1) By location in a room, vault, or similar enclosure that is accessible only to qualified persons.
(2) By suitable permanent, substantial partitions or screens so arranged that only qualified persons will have access to the space within reach of the energized parts. Any openings in such partitions or screens shall be so sized and located that persons are not likely to come into accidental contact with the energized parts or to bring conducting objects into contact with them.
(3) By location on a suitable balcony, gallery, or platform so elevated and otherwise located as to prevent access by unqualified persons; or
(4) By elevation of 8.0 feet (2.44 m) or more above the floor or other working surface.
(b) In locations where electric equipment is likely to be exposed to physical damage, enclosures or guards shall be so arranged and of such strength as to prevent such damage.
(c) Entrances to rooms and other guarded locations containing exposed live parts shall be marked with conspicuous warning signs forbidding unqualified persons to enter.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 3-23-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 12). For history of former section, see Register 75, No. 42.
2. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
3. Amendment of subsection (a)(1) filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
4. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).