|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) In addition to the stairways required in Section 1629, a construction
passenger elevator for hoisting workers shall be installed and in operation
on or in any building, or structure, 60 feet or more in height above or 48 feet
in depth below ground level. The building or structure height shall be determined
by measuring from ground level to the highest structural level including the
parapet walls, mechanical rooms, stair towers and elevator penthouse structures
but excluding antennas, smokestacks, flag poles and other similar attachments.
The building or structure depth shall be determined by measuring from ground level to the lowest floor level excluding local depression such as sumps and elevator pits.
Ground level, for the purposes of this section, is defined as the level of the primary construction entrance to the building or structure.
When computing the height, the depth shall not be considered; and when computing the depth of the building or structure, the height shall not be considered. If the height is at 60 feet or more above or at 48 feet or more below ground level, a construction elevator(s) shall be installed to serve both locations.
Exceptions: (1) Scaffolds and falsework.(2) At work locations where unusual site conditions or unusual structure configurations exist, alternate means of access in conformance with Section 1630(c) shall be permitted.
Note: For the purposes of this Section, unusual site conditions and structure configurations are considered to exist at those work locations where the installation of a construction passenger elevator is not feasible.
Unusual site conditions or structure configurations are bridges, steel tank erection, dams, water towers, antennas, cooling towers, refinery towers, stacks, prefabricated parking structures, tower cranes, etc.
(b) Construction passenger elevators shall be installed, operated and maintained in compliance with Article 14 of the Construction Safety Orders.
(c) At unusual site conditions or structure configurations, the Division shall permit alternate means of access, consisting of one or more, but not limited to, the following:
(1) Use of personnel platforms designed, constructed, and operated as specified by Section 5004 of the General Industry Safety Orders, and only under the conditions permitted by the general requirements of that section.
(2) Use of suspended power-driven scaffolds where employees are protected by safety belts secured to independent safety lines by means of a descent control device acceptable to the Division.
(3) Use of appropriate vehicle-mounted elevating and rotating work platforms.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 2-11-72; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 72,
2. Amendment of subsections (a) and (b) filed 5-21-75; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 75, No. 21).
3. Amendment of section title and subsection (a) filed 3-19-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 12).
4. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 3-27-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 12).
5. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 4-27-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 17).
6. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 5-25-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 21).
7. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 9-5-79 as procedural and organizational; effective upon filing (Register 79, No. 36).
8. Repealer and new section filed 4-16-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 16).
9. Amendment filed 1-14-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86,
10. Amendment of subsection (c)(1) filed 12-22-97; operative 1-21-98 (Register 97, No. 52).
Go Back to Article 18 Table of Contents