(a) Safety devices. The following safety devices are required on all equipment covered by Article 15, unless otherwise specified:
(1) Crane level indicator.
(A) The equipment shall have a crane level indicator that is either built into the equipment or is available on the equipment.
(B) If a built-in crane level indicator is not working properly, it shall be tagged-out or removed. If a removable crane level indicator is not working properly, it shall be removed.
(C) This requirement does not apply to portal cranes, derricks, floating cranes/derricks and land cranes/derricks on barges, pontoons, vessels or other means of flotation.
(2) Boom stops, except for derricks and hydraulic booms.
(3) Jib stops (if a jib is attached), except for derricks.
(4) Equipment with foot pedal brakes shall have locks.
(5) Hydraulic outrigger jacks and hydraulic stabilizer jacks shall have an integral holding device/check valve.
(6) Equipment on rails shall have rail clamps and rail stops, except for portal cranes.
(A) The equipment shall have a horn that is either built into the equipment or is on the equipment and immediately available to the operator.
(B) If a built-in horn is not working properly, it shall be tagged-out or removed. If a removable horn is not working properly, it shall be removed.
(b) Proper operation required.
Operations shall not begin unless all of the devices listed in this section are in proper working order. If a device stops working properly during operations, the operator shall safely stop operations. If any of the devices listed in this section are not in proper working order, the equipment shall be taken out of service and operations shall not resume until the device is again working properly. See Section 1616.1 (Operation). Alternative measures are not permitted to be used.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 7-7-2011; operative 7-7-2011. Exempt from OAL review pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2011, No. 27).