|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
(a) All expenses for interpreter services shall be paid within 60 days after receipt by the claims administrator of the bill for services unless the claims administrator, within this period, contests its liability for such payment, or the reasonableness or the necessity of incurring such expenses. A claims administrator who contests all or any part of a bill for interpreter services shall pay the uncontested amount and notify the interpreter of the objection within 60 days after receipt of the bill. Any notice of objection shall include all of the following:
(1) An explanation of the basis of the objection.
(2) If additional information is needed as a prerequisite to payment of a contested bill or portions thereof, a clear description of the information required.
(3) The name, address and telephone number of the person or office to contact for additional information concerning the objection.
(4) A statement that the interpreter may adjudicate the issue of the contested charge before the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board.
(b) Any bill for interpreter's services which constitutes a medical-legal expense as defined in subdivision (g) of Section 9793 and which is neither paid nor contested within the time limits set forth herein shall be subject to the penalties and interest set forth in Section 4622 of the Labor Code.
(c) This article shall be effective for services provided on and after the effective date of this article which pertain to injuries occurring on or after January 1, 1994. Amendments to this article which became effective in 1996 shall apply to interpreting services provided on or after April 1, 1997.
NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 133, 5307.3, 5710 and 5811, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 4600, 4620, 4621, 5710 and 5811, Labor Code; and Sections 68562 and 11513, Government Code.
1. New section filed 1-28-94; operative 1-28-94. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 11351 (Register 94, No. 4).
2. Amendment of subsection (c) and Note filed 12-30-96; operative 12-30-96 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(d). Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 11351 (Register 97, No. 1).
Go Back to Article 5.7 Table of Contents