(a) The Administrative Director adopts and incorporates by reference into the MTUS specific clinical topic medical treatment guidelines in the series of sections commencing with 9792.23.1 et seq. Clinical topics apply to the initial management and subsequent treatment of presenting complaints specific to the body part.
(b) For all conditions or injuries not addressed in the MTUS, the authorized treatment and diagnostic services in the initial management and subsequent treatment for presenting complaints shall be in accordance with other scientifically and evidence-based medical treatment guidelines that are nationally recognized by the medical community pursuant to section 9792.25(b).
(1) In providing treatment using other guidelines pursuant to subdivision (b) above and in the absence of any cure for the patient who continues to have pain that persists beyond the anticipated time of healing, the chronic pain medical treatment guidelines in section 9792.24.2 shall apply and supersede any applicable chronic pain guideline in accordance with section 9792.23(b).
(2) In providing treatment using other guidelines pursuant to subdivision (b) above and if surgery is performed, the postsurgical treatment guidelines in section 9792.24.3 for postsurgical physical medicine shall apply together with any other applicable treatment guidelines found in the MTUS or in accordance with section 9792.23(b). The postsurgical treatment guidelines supersede any applicable postsurgical treatment guideline in accordance with section 9792.23(b).
Note: Authority cited: Sections 133, 4603.5, 5307.3 and 5307.27, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 77.5, 4600, 4604.5 and 5307.27, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 6-15-2007; operative 6-15-2007 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4 (Register 2007, No. 24).
2. Renumbering of former section 9792.23 to section 9792.26 and new section 9792.23 filed 6-18-2009; operative 7-18-2009 (Register 2009, No. 25).
3. Editorial correction of operative date in History 2 (Register 2009, No. 30).