This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Division 1. Department of Industrial Relations
Chapter 4.5. Division of Workers' Compensation
Subchapter 1. Administrative Director -Administrative Rules
§9792.10.7. Independent Medical Review - Implementation of Determination and Appeal.
(a) Upon receiving the final determination of the Administrative Director that a disputed medical treatment is medically necessary, the claims administrator shall, unless an appeal is filed under subdivision (c) or liability for the treatment is disputed as described in subdivision (a)(3), promptly implement the determination.
(1) In the case of reimbursement for services already rendered, the claims administrator shall reimburse the provider or employee, whichever applies, within twenty (20) days after receipt of the final determination, subject to resolution of any remaining issue of the amount of payment pursuant to Labor Code sections 4603.2 to 4603.6, inclusive.
(2) In the case of services not yet rendered, the claims administrator shall authorize the services within five (5) working days of receipt of the final determination, or sooner if appropriate for the nature of the employee's medical condition, and shall inform the employee and provider of the authorization.
(3) If, at the time of receiving the final determination, the claims administrator is disputing liability for the medical treatment on grounds other than medical necessity, implementation of the final determination shall be deferred until the liability dispute has been resolved.
(b) Upon receipt of credible information that the claims administrator has failed to implement the final determination as required in subdivision (a), the Administrative Director shall issue an order to show cause under section 9792.15 for the assessment of administrative penalties against the claims administrator under section 9792.12(c).
(c) The parties may appeal a final determination of the Administrative Director by filing a petition with the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board.
(d) If the final determination of the Administrative Director is reversed by the Workers' Compensation Appeals Board, the dispute shall be remanded to the Administrative Director. The Administrative Director shall:
(1) Submit the dispute to independent medical review by a different independent review organization, if available;
(2) If a different independent medical review organization is not available after remand, the Administrative Director shall submit the dispute to the original independent review organization for review by a different reviewer in the organization.
1. New section filed 12-31-2012 as an emergency; operative 1-1-2013 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.1(d) (Register 2013, No. 1). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 7-1-2013 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. New section refiled 7-1-2013 as an emergency; operative 7-1-2013 (Register 2013, No. 27). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 9-30-2013 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
3. New section refiled 9-30-2013 as an emergency; operative 10-1-2013 (Register 2013, No. 40). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 12-30-2013 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
4. Certificate of Compliance as to 9-30-2013 order, including amendment of section and Note, transmitted to OAL 12-30-2013 and filed 2-12-2014; amendments effective 2-12-2014 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2014, No. 7).