|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Chapter 4.5. Division of Workers' Compensation
SUBCHAPTER 1. ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR -ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
Article 5.3. Official Medical Fee Schedule -- Services Rendered after January
§9789.32. Outpatient Hospital Department and Ambulatory Surgical Center
Fee Schedule - Applicability.
(a) Sections 9789.30 through 9789.39 shall be applicable to the maximum allowable fees for emergency room visits and surgical procedures rendered on or after July 1, 2004. For purposes of this section, emergency room visits shall be defined by CPT codes 99281-99285 and surgical procedures shall be defined by CPT codes 10021-69990. A facility fee is payable only for the specified emergency room and surgical codes and for supplies, drugs, devices, blood products and biologicals that are an integral part of the emergency room visit or surgical procedure. A supply, drug, device, blood product and biological is considered an integral part of an emergency room visit or surgical procedure if:
(1) the item has a status code N and is packaged into the APC payment for the emergency room visit or surgical procedure (in which case no additional fee is allowable) or,
(2) the item is furnished in conjunction with an emergency room visit or surgical procedure and has been assigned Status Code G, H or K.
Payment for other services furnished in conjunction with a surgical procedure or emergency room visit shall be in accordance with subdivision (c) of this Section.
(b) Sections 9789.30 through 9789.39 apply to any hospital outpatient department as defined in Section 9789.30(n).
(c) The maximum allowable fees for services, drugs and supplies furnished by hospitals and ambulatory surgical centers that do not meet the requirements in (a) for a facility fee payment and are not bundled in the APC payment rate for a surgical service or emergency room visit will be determined as follows:
(1) The maximum allowable fees for professional medical services which are performed by physicians and other licensed health care providers shall be paid according to Section 9789.10 and Section 9789.11.
(2) The maximum allowable fees for organ acquisition costs and corneal tissue acquisition costs shall be based on the documented paid cost of procuring the organ or tissue.
(3) The maximum allowable fee for drugs not otherwise covered by a Medicare fee schedule payment for facility services shall be determined pursuant to Labor Code Section 5307.1, or, where applicable, Section 9789.40.
(4) The maximum allowable fee for clinical diagnostic tests shall be determined according to Section 9789.50.
(5) The maximum allowable fees for non-surgical ancillary services with a status code indicator “X” shall be determined according to Section 9789.10 and Section 9789.11.
(6) The maximum allowable fee for durable medical equipment, prosthetics and orthotics shall be determined according to Section 9789.60.
(7) The maximum allowable fee for ambulance service shall be determined according to Section 9789.70.
(d) Only hospitals may charge or collect a facility fee for emergency room visits. Only hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgical centers as defined in Section 9789.30(n) and Section 9789.30(c) may charge or collect a facility fee for surgical services provided on an outpatient basis.
(e) Hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgical centers shall not be reimbursed for procedures on the inpatient only list, referenced in Section 9789.31(a), Addendum E, except that pre-authorized services rendered are payable at the pre-negotiated fee arrangement. The pre-authorization must be provided by an authorized agent of the claims administrator to the provider. The fee agreement and pre-authorization must be memorialized in writing prior to performing the medical services.
(f) Critical access hospitals and hospitals that are excluded from acute PPS are exempt from this fee schedule.
(g) Out of state hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgical centers are exempt from this fee schedule.
(h) Hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgical centers billing for facility fees and other services under this Section shall be submitted in accordance with the e-billing regulations beginning with Section 9792.5.0 or the standardized paper billing regulations beginning with Section 9792.5.2.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 133, 4603.5, 5307.1 and 5307.3, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 4600, 4603.2 and 5307.1, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 1-2-2004 as an emergency; operative 1-2-2004 (Register 2004, No. 2). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 5-3-2004 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. Certificate of Compliance as to 1-2-2004 order, including amendment of section, transmitted to OAL 4-30-2004 and filed 6-15-2004 (Register 2004, No. 25).
3. Amendment of subsections (a), (b), (c)(3), (e) and (h) filed 12-27-2012; operative 1-1-2013 as a file and print only pursuant to Government Code section 11340.9(g) (Register 2012, No. 52).
Back to Article 5.3 Table of Contents