This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Chapter 4.5. Division of Workers' Compensation
SUBCHAPTER 1. ADMINISTRATIVE DIRECTOR -ADMINISTRATIVE RULES
Article 5.3. Official Medical Fee Schedule
§9789.17.1. Radiology Diagnostic Imaging Multiple Procedures.
(a) Specified diagnostic imaging procedures are designated in the CMS National Physician Fee Schedule Relative Value excel file, to indicate that the Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction (MPPR) shall be applied to the professional component (PC) and technical component (TC) of the procedure, when multiple services are furnished to the same patient, in the same session, on the same day, by one or more physicians in the same group practice. The MPPR shall apply to both PC-only services, TC-only services, and to the PC and TC of global services. If the procedure is reported in the same session, on the same day, and furnished to the same patient, by one or more physicians in the same group practice (same Group National Provider Identifier (NPI)), the maximum reimbursement shall be determined as follows:
(1) Full payment is made for each PC and TC with the highest payment under the physician fee schedule.
(2) Payment is made at 75 percent for subsequent PC services furnished to the same patient, in the same session, on the same day, by one or more physicians in the same group practice (NPI).
(3) Payment is made at 50 percent for subsequent TC services furnished to the same patient, in the same session, on the same day, by one or more physicians in the same group practice (NPI).
(4) The individual PC and TC services with the highest payments under the physician fee schedule of globally billed services must be determined in order to calculate the MPPR.
(b) See section 9789.19 for the diagnostic imaging procedures subject to the radiology diagnostic imaging multiple procedures discount, description of the diagnostic imaging family indicators, and diagnostic imaging family indicators for procedure, by date of service.
Note: Authority: Sections 133, 4603.5, 5307.1 and 5307.3, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 4600, 5307.1 and 5307.11, Labor Code
1. New section filed 9-24-2013; operative 1-1-2014. Submitted to OAL as a file and print only pursuant to Government Code section 11340.9(g) (Register 2013, No. 39).
Back to Article 5.3 Table of Contents