This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Chapter 4.5. Division of Workers' Compensation
Subchapter 1. Administrative
Article 3.5. Medical Provider Networks
§9767.6. Treatment and Change of Physicians Within MPN
(a) When the injured covered employee notifies the employer or insured employer of the injury or files a claim for workers' compensation with the employer or insured employer, the employer or insurer shall arrange an initial medical evaluation with a MPN physician in compliance with the access standards set forth in section 9767.5.
(b) Within one working day after an employee files a claim form under Labor Code section 5401, the employer or insurer shall provide for all treatment, consistent with guidelines adopted by the Administrative Director pursuant to Labor Code section 5307.27 and as set forth in title 8, California Code of Regulations, section 9792.20 et seq.
(c) The employer or insurer shall provide for the treatment with MPN providers for the alleged injury and shall continue to provide the treatment until the date that liability for the claim is rejected. Until the date the claim is rejected, liability for the claim shall be limited to ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
(d) The insurer or employer shall notify the employee of his or her right to be treated by a physician of his or her choice within the MPN after the first visit with the MPN physician and the method by which the list of participating providers may be accessed by the employee.
(e) At any point in time after the initial medical evaluation with a MPN physician, the covered employee may select a physician of his or her choice from within the MPN. Selection by the covered employee of a treating physician and any subsequent physicians shall be based on the physician's specialty or recognized expertise in treating the particular injury or condition in question.
(f) A Petition for Change of Treating Physician, as set forth at section 9786, cannot be utilized to seek a change of physician for a covered employee who is treating with a physician within the MPN.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 133 and 4616(g), Labor Code. Reference: Sections 4604.5, 4616, 4616.3, 5307.27 and 5401, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 11-1-2004 as an emergency; operative 11-1-2004 (Register 2004, No. 45). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 3-1-2005 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. New section refiled 2-28-2005 as an emergency; operative 3-1-2005 (Register 2005, No. 9). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 6-29-2005 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
3. New section refiled 6-20-2005 as an emergency; operative 6-29-2005 (Register 2005, No. 25). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 10-27-2005 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
4. Certificate of Compliance as to 6-20-2005 order, including amendment of section, transmitted to OAL 7-29-2005 and filed 9-9-2005 (Register 2005, No. 36).
5. Amendment of subsections (b) and (f) filed 8-9-2010; operative 10-8-2010 (Register 2010, No. 33).
Back to Article 3.5 Table of Contents