This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
TITLE 8. INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
Article 4. Evaluation Procedures
DIVISION 1. DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
CHAPTER 1. DIVISION OF WORKERS' COMPENSATION-QUALIFIED MEDICAL EVALUATOR
§46. Method of Evaluation of Neuromusculoskeletal Disability.
(a) For all claims arising before January 1, 2005, not subject to section 46(b), the method of measuring the neuromusculoskeletal elements of disability shall be as set forth below in the "Guidelines for Evaluation of Neuromusculoskeletal Disability" as adopted by the Industrial Medical Council on October 20, 1994. The full text of this document is available on the web at no charge at www.dir.ca.gov/IMC/guidelines.html or by calling the Medical Unit at 1-800-794-6900.
(b) For all claims having dates of injury on or after January 1, 2005, and for those compensable claims arising before January 1, 2005, where there has been either no comprehensive medical-legal report or no report by a treating physician indicating the existence of permanent disability, or when the claims administrator, or if none the employer, is not required to provide the notice required by section 4061 to the injured worker, the method of measuring the neuromusculoskeletal elements of impairment shall be as described in the American Medical Association, Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment [Fifth Edition] (AMA Guides). Permanent disability shall be described by applying the provisions of the Permanent Disability Rating Schedule adopted by the Administrative Director pursuant to section 9805 of Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations.
| Note: Authority cited: Section 133, 139.2(j)(2) and 5307.3, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 139.2, 4060, 4061, 4062, 4062.1, 4062.2, 4067, 4628 and 4660, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 4-18-96; operative 4-18-96 pursuant to Government Codesection 11343.4(d) (Register 96, No. 16).
2. Change without regulatory effect amending "Guidelines for Evaluation of Neuromusculoskeletal Disability, 2nd Ed." (incorporated by reference) filed 6-6-96 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 96, No. 23).
3. Change without regulatory effect amending Note filed 8-1-96 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 96, No. 31).
4. Amendment of section and Note filed 4-14-2000; operative 5-14-2000 (Register 2000, No. 15).
5. Change without regulatory effect amending section filed 7-12-2001 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2001, No. 28). Pursuant to this filing, material adopted pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act that had previously been incorporated by reference in the California Code of Regulations was instead printed in full in the California Code of Regulations.
6. Amendment of section and Note filed 1-13-2009; operative 2-17-2009 (Register 2009, No. 3).
Go Back to Article 4 Table of Contents