|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
(a) The Chief DAS shall deregister an apprenticeship program upon the request of the sponsor as long as within fifteen days of the Chief's acknowledgment of the request for deregistration, the sponsor shall inform each apprentice in writing of the deregistration, the proposed effective date of the deregistration and the names and addresses of other programs in the area. The Chief shall not deregister the program unless the sponsor complies with this requirement.
(b) The Chief may deregister an apprenticeship program, if the program is not conducted, operated and administered in accordance with applicable federal and state law and regulations or the program's approved apprenticeship standards, or if a program has had no active apprentices for a period of two (2) years, except that deregistration proceedings for violation of equal opportunity requirements shall be processed in accordance with Section 215:
(1) If the Chief has information that a program is not being operated in accordance with applicable federal and state law and regulations or the program's approved apprenticeship standards, the Chief shall so notify the program sponsor in writing sent by registered or certified mail, with return receipt requested. The notice shall identify the violation and the action needed to correct the violation. The notice shall state that the program will be deregistered unless corrective action is completed within thirty days. Upon a showing of good cause, the Chief may grant the sponsor a reasonable extension of time to achieve corrective action. Where the Chief has information that a program has had no active apprentices for a period of two (2) years, that shall be considered grounds for deregistration and the Chief shall notify the program sponsor in writing as set forth above that the program will be deregistered unless the program can show good cause within thirty (30) days why it should not be deregistered;
(2) The Chief shall advise the sponsor in every reasonable way to help the program
sponsor correct the violation;
(3) If the required correction is made, the Chief may periodically review the program to see that the correction is maintained;
(4) If the required correction is not completed, or if a program which has had no active apprentices for a period of two (2) years fails to show good cause why it should not be deregistered, within the allotted time, the Chief shall send a notice to the sponsor, by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested. The notice shall:
(A) State that it is sent pursuant to this subsection;
(B) Indicate that the program has had no active apprentices for a period of two (2) years and has failed to show good cause why it should not be deregistered; or identify the violation with particularity, state when it was called to the sponsor's attention, identify the correction required and state that the sponsor has failed or refused to correct the violation;
(C) State that the Chief will recommend that the Administrator deregister the program unless the sponsor requests a hearing within fifteen days of the date of the notice;
(5) If the sponsor does not request a hearing, the Chief shall transmit to the Administrator a report containing all pertinent facts and circumstances concerning the violation, including the findings and recommendation for deregistration, and copies of all relevant documents and records. Statements concerning interviews, meetings and conferences shall include the time, date, place, and persons present. The Administrator shall make a final order on the basis of the record.
(6) If the sponsor requests a hearing, the Chief shall transmit to the Administrator a report containing all the data listed in subparagraph (5) above. The Administrator shall hold a hearing in accordance with Section 202, and shall make a final decision on the basis of the record, including the proposed findings and recommended decision of the Chief. At the Administrator's discretion, he/she may allow the sponsor a reasonable period of time to achieve corrective action.
(7) The decision of the Administrator concerning deregistration of a program shall be final and become an order of the Council unless an appeal is filed by the sponsor with the Council within thirty (30) days following the date the decision is issued. If the program is deregistered, and no appeal to the Council is filed, the deregistration shall be effective sixty (60) days following the date the Administrator's Decision was issued.
(8) The sponsor may appeal the Administrator's Decision to the Council. If an appeal is filed, the procedures of Section 203 shall be followed. The Decision of the Council shall be final and shall be effective thirty (30) days following the date the Council's Decision is issued.
(9) Upon issuance of the Administrator's Decision to deregister, the Administrator shall make public notice of this Decision and shall notify the sponsor and other programs in the same occupation and in the same labor market area. Within 15 days of service of the Administrator's Decision, the sponsor shall notify each apprentice of the Administrator's Decision to deregister the program. The sponsor shall inform each apprentice that, if the deregistration decision becomes final, it automatically terminates the apprentice's individual registration. The sponsor shall provide each apprentice with the names and addresses of other programs in the area. Finally, the sponsor shall provide Chief, DAS, with proof of said mailing.
Authority cited: Sections 3071 and 3081, Labor Code. Reference: Sections 3073, 3075, 3078, 3081, 3082, 3083 and 3090, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 9-6-95; operative 10-6-95 (Register 95, No. 36).
2. Amendment filed 1-17-2002; operative 2-16-2002 (Register 2002, No. 3).
Go Back to Article 4 Table of Contents