This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at

Chapter 6. Division of Labor Standards Enforcement
Subchapter 6.5. Hearings on Actions to Recover Wages, Penalties, and Other Demands for Compensation and on Claims from Holders of Dishonored Payroll Checks or Drafts

Article 1. Rules of Practice and Procedure

New Query

§13501. Filing of Complaint.

An employee complaint or claim for wages, penalties or other demand for compensation properly before the DIVISION or the Labor Commissioner, including Orders of the Industrial Welfare Commission, under Labor Code Section 98(a) shall be initiated by the filing of a complaint on the form prescribed herein in any District Office of the DIVISION. If the District Office is not the proper office serving the county in which compensation claimed was earned or in which any of the acts complained of was performed, the complaint hall be referred to the proper office of the DIVISION serving said county, for investigation and hearing.

NOTE: Authority cited: Section 98.8, Labor Code. Reference: Section 98, Labor Code.


1. New NOTE filed 8-21-87; operative 9-20-87 (Register 87, No. 35).

Go BackGo Back to Article 1 Table of Contents