|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 18. Ship Building, Ship Repairing and Ship Breaking Safety Orders
Article 8. Miscellaneous Safe Practices
§8397.2. Electric Power.
(a) When the vessel is supplied with electric power from a source outside the vessel, the employer shall take the following precautions prior to energizing any of the vessel's circuits:
(1) Ensure that the vessel is grounded.
(2) The employer shall ascertain from responsible vessel's representatives, having a knowledge of the condition of the vessel's electrical system, that all circuits to be energized are in a safe condition.
(3) All circuits to be energized shall be equipped with overcurrent protection of capacity not exceeding the rated current carrying capacity of the conductors used.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 1-22-88; operative 2-21-88 (Register 88, No. 6).
2. Amendment filed 12-13-2011; operative 12-13-2011. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2011, No. 50).
Go Back to Ship Building, Ship Repairing and Ship Breaking Safety Orders, Article 8 Table of Contents