This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 18. Ship Building, Ship Repairing and Ship Breaking Safety Orders
Article 6. Precautions
(a) In addition to the requirements in Section 8391, the employer also shall ensure that each walkway:
(1) Provides adequate passage;
(2) Is clear of debris, including solid and liquid wastes, that may create a hazard for employees;
(3) Is clear of tools, materials, equipment, and other objects that may create a hazard for employees; and
(4) Is clear of hoses and electrical service cords. The employer shall:
(A) Place each hose and cord above walkways in a location that will prevent injury to employees and damage to the hoses and cords;
(B) Place each hose and cord underneath walkways;
(C) Place each hose and cord on walkways, provided the hoses and cords are covered by crossovers or other means that will prevent injury to employees and damage to the hoses and cords; or
(D) Protect each hose and cord by other suitable means.
(b) While a walkway or part of a walkway is being used as a working surface, the employer shall cordon off that portion to prevent it from being used as a walkway.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 12-13-2011; operative 12-13-2011. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code section 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2011, No. 50).
Go Back to Ship Building, Ship Repairing and Ship Breaking Safety Orders, Article 6 Table of Contents