| Return to index
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, each mine rescue station shall be provided with the following respiratory equipment, supplies, and spare parts:
(1) Ten sets of permissible self-contained two-hour oxygen breathing apparatus.
(2) Sufficient spare parts to assemble one complete breathing apparatus in good working order.
(3) One high-pressure oxygen pump for recharging oxygen bottles.
(4) An emergency supply of oxygen and regenerator charges sufficient to keep 10 sets of breathing apparatus running for 10 hours.
(5) One signal line 1200 feet long and 1 reel for the signal line.
(6) Ten permissible electric cap lamps and charger.
(7) Necessary gas detection and ventilation instruments.
(b) On a showing that equal protection will be afforded to employees, the Division may permit mine rescue stations to be equipped with other types of permissible breathing apparatus and supplies than specified in subsection (a) of this section.
Permission to deviate from the provisions of subsection (a) must be in writing. Application to deviate must state the type of permissible breathing apparatus the applicant desires to use.
(c) Breathing apparatus shall be maintained in good working condition and ready for use. It shall be inspected at least once each month and any necessary repairs and adjustments shall be promptly made.
(d) The man in charge of the rescue station shall make a monthly report on a form prescribed by the Division. The report shall state the condition of the apparatus and equipment, and shall contain a record of the men trained during the month.
Copies of the monthly report shall be furnished to each member of a cooperative rescue station and to the Division of Industrial Safety.