|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Chain shall not be used either wholly or in part with any cathead except as a spinning line.
(b) Chain used in a spinning line shall be of a type designed for that purpose.
(c) Every chain used in a spinning line shall have a fiber tail rope not more than twelve inches (12") or less than six inches (6") in length, secured to the pipe end of the chain for employees to hold when rotating pipe with the chain.
(d) No part of any chain that has been broken shall be used in a spinning line.
(e) A chain having a distorted or worn link beyond the manufacturer's mark or the indicator shall be discarded at once from further use as a spinning line.
(f) Chains which have been connected together for use as a spinning line shall be connected and used as follows:
(1) A section of unbroken chain fastened to the cathead may be connected to a section of unbroken chain of smaller size.
(2) The connector link shall be of a type with equivalent design strength of the chain in which it is to be used.
(3) The connector link shall be located where it will not come in contact with pipe being rotated.
(4) In case of rupture of a link in the section of smaller chain, that section shall be discarded at once from further use as a spinning line.
In event of rupture of a link in the section of larger chain, both sections of chain shall be discarded at once from further use as a spinning line.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-20-59; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 59, No. 12).
2. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 43 Table of Contents