| Return to index
(a) When lubricant feeders are piped down to the pipe racking platform for servicing, and the crown platform is used for maintenance or emergency work only, the width of the crown platform may be reduced to eighteen inches (18"). When the crown platform is reduced to eighteen inches (18"), the ladderway opening shall be clear and unobstructed to a distance of at least twenty inches (20") outward on the climbing side of the ladder.
(b) Access from the ladder to the crown platform shall be provided as follows:
(1) When access to the crown platform is by means of a ladderway opening in the platform, the opening shall be not less than twenty-two inches by twenty-two inches (22" x 22").
(2) The platform shall be designed so that the ladderway opening is clear and unobstructed to a distance of at least twenty inches (20") outward on the climbing side of the ladder.
(3) The ladder side rails shall extend three and one-half feet (3 1/2') above the platform level unless suitable handholds are provided.
(4) Where access to the crown platform is by means of a ladder on the outer edge of the platform, the ladder shall terminate at platform level.
Entry to the platform shall be provided by an opening in the standard railings and toeboards, not less than fourteen inches (14") and not more than sixteen inches (16") wide.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of section heading and section and new Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 25 Table of Contents