| Return to index
(a) The means of access includes the means of exit.
(b) Where the difference in elevation is more than eighteen inches (18") between the ground, working levels, platforms or floors, access shall be provided by means of a stairway, ladder, ramp, walkway or a combination of these at the following locations:
(1) At a place along an edge of the drawworks floor or platform most remote from the derrick or mast floor as operating conditions will permit.
(2) At the end of the derrick or mast walk most remote from the derrick or mast floor.
(3) At the junction of the derrick or mast floor and derrick or mast walk.
(4) At the junction of the drilling fluid ditch walk and derrick or mast floor.
(c) The construction of stairways, ladders, ramps, and walkways shall be in accordance with the General Industry Safety Orders except where otherwise specifically provided for in these orders.
(d) Stair railings may be omitted from one side of a stairway where the installation of the railing interferes with the loading, unloading or transfer of equipment.
(e) Derrick and mast floors shall have at least one (1) means of access provided if the derrick or mast floor is over eighteen inches (18") but less than ten feet (10') above the ground level, and two (2) means of access if ten feet (10') or more above ground level.
The two (2) means of access shall be remotely located with respect to each other so that they will provide an alternate means of escape in case of an emergency. One (1) means of access shall be provided by a stairway, ramp, walkway, or a combination of these. A ladder may be used as the other means of escape.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-20-59; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 59, No. 12).
2. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 21 Table of Contents