|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Every derrick and mast and their component parts shall be constructed and maintained to conform to good engineering practice.
(b) Supporting structures of operating derricks and masts shall be constructed and maintained to conform to good engineering practice. The derrick or mast and supporting structure shall not be loaded beyond its designed capacity.
(c) Auxiliary parts of derricks and masts shall be constructed and maintained to conform to good engineering practice.
(d) Derrick and mast floors shall cover the area within the perimeter of the derrick or mast, except for such portions of the area and openings in the floor that are necessary for operating equipment and operating procedures.
EXCEPTION: When a mast base is used in conjunction with a standard steel derrick (such as necessitated by soundproofing or other requirements), the regular mast base flooring and guarding will be permissible if approaches to pipe walkway, stairway, or runway are extended.
(e) (G-2, G-3) The derrick or mast floor, if more than two feet (2') above ground level at the approach to the derrick or mast ladder shall extend to at least two feet (2') beyond the climbing side of the ladder. This extended portion of the floor shall be not less than four feet (4') in width.
(f) Employees shall be protected from the hazards of falling tong counterweights by one of the following:
(1) The counterweight shall be enclosed with a guard which extends from the working level to at least the midpoint of the counterweight when it is at its highest position;
(2) The counterweight shall be secured by chain or cable to prevent the counterweight from coming within seven feet above the floor or working level; or,
(3) Work or pedestrian traffic shall be prohibited in the area below the counterweight. The area below the counterweight shall be enclosed or barricaded.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment filed 7-20-59; effective thirtieth day thereafter. (Register 59, No. 12).
2. Amendment of article 19 heading, section and Note filed 5-8-95; operative 6-7-95 (Register 95, No. 19).
Go Back to Article 19 Table of Contents