|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
All tower cranes shall have the following safety devices:
(a) Visual warning devices:
(1) A warning light which shall be activated at a percentage of the rated load, not to exceed 95 percent of the rated load, or
(2) Electronic instrumentation provided by the certified agent that gives a continuous direct reading of the load weight and the trolley radius.
(b) An audible signal that operates at a percentage of the rated load, not to exceed 100 percent of the rated load.
(c) The visual warning light, and audible signal required by subsections (a)(1) and (b) shall be set to avoid simultaneous activation, and operate with a difference of at least 5 percent of the rated load to ensure independent warnings.
(d) An automatic stop that operates at a percentage of the rated load, not to exceed 105 percent of the rated load.
(e) When the crane manufacturer specifies lower activation points for safety devices than required by subsections (a)(1), (b) and (d), the manufacturer's specifications shall be followed.
(f) Limit devices to:
(1) Provide deceleration before the top position of the hook is reached.
(2) Limit the trolley traveling both in and out.
(g) Constant pressure control devices which automatically return to neutral or the "off" position when released by the operator.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 8-29-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 39).
2. Redesignation and amendment of former subsection (a) as new subsection (a)(1), and new subsections (a) and (a)(2) filed 3-3-98; operative 4-2-98 (Register 98, No. 10).
3. Amendment of first paragraph and subsection (a)(2) filed 1-3-2002; operative 2-2-2002 (Register 2002, No. 1).
4. Amendment of first paragraph and subsection (d)(1)filed 10-30-2003; operative 11-29-2003 (Register 2003, No. 44).
5. Amendment filed 8-2-2005; operative 9-1-2005 (Register 2005, No. 31).
Go Back to Article 96 Table of Contents