This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 4. General Mobile Equipment and Auxiliaries
Article 25. Industrial Trucks, Tractors, Haulage Vehicles, and Earthmoving Equipment
(a) Every employer using industrial trucks or industrial tow tractors shall post and enforce a set of operating rules including the appropriate rules listed in Section 3650(t).
(b) Every employee who operates an agricultural or industrial tractor shall be instructed in the following procedures and in any other practices dictated by the work environment. Such information shall be provided at the time of initial assignment and at least annually thereafter. Copies of these instructions, printed in a language understood by the majority of the employees, shall be conspicuously posted at a place frequented by the drivers.
EMPLOYEE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
1. Securely fasten your seat belt if the tractor has a ROPS.
2. Where possible, avoid operating the tractor near ditches, embankments, and holes.
3. Reduce speed when turning, crossing slopes, and on rough, slick, or muddy surfaces.
4. Stay off slopes too steep for safe operation.
5. Watch where you are going, especially at row ends, on roads, and around trees.
6. Do not permit others to ride.
EXCEPTION: to No. 6: The operation of agricultural tractor-mounted personnel transport carriers when used, operated and maintained in accordance with Section 3441(i) of these Orders.
7. Operate the tractor smoothly -no jerky turns, starts, or stops.
8. Hitch only to the drawbar and hitch points recommended by tractor manufacturers.
9. When tractor is stopped, set brakes securely and use park lock if available.
(c) Every employee who operates an agricultural or industrial tractor shall be required to check the tractor prior to operation each day and if it is unsafe report the matter immediately to a foreman or mechanic and shall not use the tractor again until it has been made safe.
(d) Employees shall be prohibited from stunt driving or horseplay while operating an agricultural or industrial tractor.
(e) No repairs shall be performed on any agricultural or industrial trucks or tractors until arrangements have been made to reduce the probability of injury to repairmen or others caused by sudden movement or operation of such equipment or its parts.
1. Amendment and renumbering from Section 3669, and renumbering of former Section 3664 to Section 3337, filed 7-26-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 30). For history of former section see Register 75, No. 49.
2. Amendment of subsection (a)(16) filed 8-9-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 32).
3. New subsection (e) filed 12-26-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 52).
4. Amendment of subsection (a)(22) filed 5-26-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 22).
5. New subsection (a)(31) filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).