| Return to index
(a) Portable screw conveyors located seven feet or less above the work level shall be covered or guarded to prevent accidental contact with any portion of the screw. Augers shall be guarded with either grating type guards or solid baffle style covers as follows:
(1) The largest dimensions or openings in grating type guards through which materials are required to flow shall be 4 3/4 inches. The area of each opening shall be no larger than 10 square inches. The opening shall be located no closer than 2 1/2 inches to the rotating flighting.
(2) Slotted openings in solid baffle style covers shall be no wider than 1 1/2 inches, or closer than 3 1/2 inches to the exposed flighting.
EXCEPTION: Portable material transfer augers which cannot be guarded as above due to the nature of the process or material being transferred shall not be permitted to rotate unless they are in contact with the material to be transferred. The top and rear of the rotating auger shall be guarded. The leading edge of the guard shall extend at least six inches beyond the leading edge of the auger flight. Employees shall not be required or permitted in front of an auger while it is rotating.
(b) Portable sack loader, auger, elevator, or drag conveyor drive systems shall contain only one starting control. The starting control shall be located within ready access of the operator.
(c) Shear points created by portions of the conveyor passing structural or other fixed parts shall be guarded.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 5-13-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 20).
2. Amendment of subsection (a)(1) filed 9-6-79 as procedural and organizational; effective upon filing (Register 79, No. 36).
3. Amendment filed 5-15-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 20).
4. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 4-4-96; operative 5-4-96 (Register 96, No. 14).