| Return to index
(a) Before working on or around railway cars at loading docks or dumping facilities, or on sidings, the following items shall, where appropriate, be checked and employees shall be advised of potential hazards.
(1) Before opening or closing doors on freight cars or gondola type bottom dumping cars the doors shall be inspected to assure that the doors will not fall off the car and endanger employees.
(2) Before being opened fully, doors shall be opened slightly to ensure that the load has not shifted during transit. Special precautions shall be taken if the doors being opened are visibly damaged.
(3) Material or equipment being loaded on, or off-loaded from box cars or flat cars shall be secured from falling out of or off the car where employees may be endangered.
(4) Before inverting gondola type cars in dumping mechanisms the coupling hinge pins shall be secured against falling out of the coupling.
(5) Operators of railcar dumps shall have an unrestricted view of dumping operations and shall have emergency means of stopping movement.
(6) Before loading or dumping multiple hopper gondola cars, the manufacturer's instructions shall be checked to see that the proper sequence in loading or dumping is followed.
(7) Railcars shall be chocked or otherwise prevented from moving:
(A) While dockboards or carplates are in position; or
(B) While employees are working within, on or under the railcars or near the tracks at the ends of the cars.
(8) Work shall be performed in railcars only if floors of the railcars are in visibly safe condition for the work activity being conducted and equipment being used.
(9) The employer shall direct that no employees remain in railcars after work is concluded.
(10) A route shall be established to allow employees to pass to and from places of employment without passing under, over or through railcars, or between cars less than 10 feet (3 meters) apart on the same track.
(b) When repairing or disassembling railway cars, provision shall be made to prevent the car or its components from getting into an unstable condition where they might fall and endanger employees.
(c) Entering Tank Cars: refer to Article 108.
(d) Before cars are moved, unsecured and overhanging stakes, wire straps, banding and similar objects shall be removed or placed so as not to create hazards.
(e) Employees shall not remain in or on gondolas or flat cars when drafts that create overhead, caught-in, caught-between or struck-by hazards are being landed in or on the railcars. End gates, if raised, shall be secured.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 12-19-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 1).
2. Amendment filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).