This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations
from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the
convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information
is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.
Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 2. Safe Practices and Personal Protection
Article 7. Miscellaneous Safe Practices
§3328. Machinery and Equipment.
(a) Machinery and equipment shall be of adequate design and shall not be used or operated under conditions of speeds, stresses, or loads which endanger employees.
(b) Machinery and equipment in service shall be inspected and maintained as recommended by the manufacturer where such recommendations are available.
(c) Machinery and equipment with defective parts which create a hazard shall not be used.
(d) Machinery and equipment designed for a fixed location shall be restrained so as to prevent walking or moving from its location.
(e) Machinery and equipment components shall be designed and secured or covered (or both) to minimize hazards caused by breakage, release of mechanical energy (e.g., broken springs), or loosening and/or falling unless the employer can demonstrate that to do so would be inconsistent with the manufacturer's recommendations or would otherwise impair employee safety.
(f) Any modifications shall be in accordance with (a) and with good engineering practice.
(g) Machinery and equipment in service shall be maintained in a safe operating condition.
(h) Only qualified persons shall be permitted to maintain or repair machinery and equipment.
1. New section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43).
2. Amendment filed 12-19-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 1, 1-6-79).
3. Amendment of subsection (b) and new subsection (g) filed 4-16-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 16).
4. New subsection (h) filed 12-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 50).
5. Amendment of subsection (e) filed 3-7-2011; operative 4-6-2011 (Register 2011, No. 10).
Go Back to Article 7 Table of Contents