| Return to index
(a) Tire inflation shall be accomplished by means of a clip-on chuck with a minimum 24-inch length hose to an in-line foot or hand valve and gauge. A clip-on chuck and an in-line regulator (factory preset at 40 psi maximum for passenger car tires or a restraining device may be used as an equivalent.
(1) Automatic tire inflation machines that inflate the tire in a pressurized chamber through the bead seat annulus.
(2) Where passenger car or truck tires are serviced at the same facility, an adjustable in-line regulator is allowed as long as the regulator pressure is properly set in each case.
(b) Tire inflation control valves shall automatically shut off the air flow when the valve is released by the operator or be of the preset regulator type.
(c) Specific employee instruction shall be provided which will ensure the employee makes the correct tire to rim size match prior to inflating the tire.
(d) Tires shall not be inflated to more than the inflation pressure recommended by the manufacturer.
(e) Unless otherwise recommended by the manufacturer, tires shall not be inflated beyond a maximum of 40 psi to seat the beads. During inflation, tire beads shall be inspected for proper seating at intervals not to exceed 20 psi. Tires not properly seated at 40 psi, or at the maximum psi recommended by the manufacturer, shall be completely deflated before making the adjustment of the tire, rim or wheel components. Except as permitted in Section 3326, tires shall be in a restraint device when seating the beads.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 6-21-72; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 72, No. 26).
2. New subsection (d) filed 4-16-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 16).
3. Amendment filed 11-28-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 48).
4. Amendment filed 10-12-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 41).
5. Amendment of section heading and new subsections (c)-(d) filed 8-27-93; operative 9-27-93 (Register 93, No. 35).
6. Amendment of section heading and subsection (a) and new subsection (e) filed 8-27-97; operative 9-26-97 (Register 97, No. 35).
7. Change without regulatory effect amending section heading filed 10-28-97 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 97, No. 44).
Go Back to Article 7 Table of Contents