| Return to index
(1) When the term "approved" is used in these orders, it shall refer to products, materials, devices, systems, or installations that have been approved, listed, labeled, or certified as conforming to applicable governmental or other nationally recognized standards, or applicable scientific principles. The approval, listing, labeling, or certification of conformity, shall be based upon an evaluation performed by a person, firm, or entity with appropriate registered engineering competence or by a person, firm, or entity, independent of the manufacturer or supplier of the product, with demonstrated competence in the field of such evaluation.
EXCEPTION: Where written approval by the Division is required in these orders.
(2) The term "approved" shall also refer to products, materials, devices, systems, or installations that have been approved, listed, labeled, or certified by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
(b) The division may require proof in addition to that under (a) that the products, materials, devices, systems, or installations will provide reasonable safety under the conditions of use.
(c) When these orders require an approval of products, materials, devices, systems, or installations and that approval is not available under (a), it will be necessary to submit to the division engineering calculations, stress analyses, and other data for each design, model, or make for which an approval is requested. The division will then approve or disapprove the product, material, device, system, or installation as submitted or under specified conditions.
(Title 24, Part 2, Section 2-110.)
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code; and Section 18943(c), Health and Safety Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 10-25-74; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 74, No. 43). For history of former section, see Register 72, No. 23.
2. Amendment filed 7-16-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 29).
3. Repealer and new section filed 10-18-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 42).
4. Amendment filed 5-25-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 22). Approved by State Building Standards Commission 1-24-83.
5. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 2-15-90; operative 3-17-90 (Register 90, No. 8).
Go Back to General Industry Safety Orders, Introduction