| Return to index
(a) Over roofs. Open wiring and cables shall have a clearance of not less than 8 feet from the highest point of roofs over which they pass.
Exception: No. 1: Where the voltage between conductors does not exceed 300 and the roof has a slope of not less than 4 inches in 12 inches, a reduction in clearance to 3 feet shall be permitted.
Exception: No. 2: Where the voltage between conductors does not exceed 300, a reduction in clearance over the overhanging portion of the roof to 18 inches shall be permitted if:
a. They do not pass over more than 4 feet of the overhang portion of the roof; and
b. They are terminated at a (through-the-roof) raceway or approved support.
Exception: No. 3: The area above a roof surface subject to pedestrian or vehicular traffic shall have a vertical clearance from the roof surface in accordance with the clearance requirements of Section 2375.18.
(b) Horizontal Clearances. Open wiring and cables not attached to a building shall have a minimum horizontal clearance of 3 feet.
(c) Final Spans.
(1) Open wiring and cables to a building they supply or from which they are fed shall be permitted to be attached to the building, but they shall be kept 3 feet from windows that are designed to be opened, doors, porches, balconies, ladders, stairs, fire escapes, or similar locations.
(2) Conductors run above the top level of a window shall be permitted to be less than 3 feet above the window provided that they are at the maximum practical distance and that in no case are they less than 1 foot above the window.
(3) Vertical clearance of final spans above, or within 3.0 feet measured horizontally of, platforms, projections, or surfaces from which they might be reached shall be maintained in accordance with Section 2375.18.
(4) Overhead service conductors shall not be installed beneath openings through which materials may be moved, such as openings in farm and commercial buildings, and may not be installed where they will obstruct entrance to these building openings.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 8-9-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 32).
2. Editorial correction filed 11-2-83 (Register 83, No. 45).
3. Amendment filed 8-27-86; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 86, No. 37).
4. Amendment filed 5-5-2008; operative 5-5-2008. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Labor Code 142.3(a)(3) (Register 2008, No. 19).