|This information is provided free of charge by the Department of Industrial Relations from its web site at www.dir.ca.gov. These regulations are for the convenience of the user and no representation or warranty is made that the information is current or accurate. See full disclaimer at http://www.dir.ca.gov/od_pub/disclaimer.html.|
| Return to index
(a) Hot Asphalt and Hot Pitch Buckets.
(1) Every hot asphalt and hot pitch bucket shall be made of No. 24 gauge or heavier sheet steel and shall have a metal bail of 1/4-inch diameter or larger material. The bail shall be fastened to offset ears, or equivalent, which have been riveted, welded, or otherwise securely attached to the bucket.
(2) Mop buckets shall not have a capacity in excess of 9 1/2 gallons.
(3) Mop buckets shall not be used as carrying buckets.
(4) Carrying buckets shall not have a capacity in excess of 6 gallons.
(b) Gallows-Type Frames.
(1) Gallows-type frames shall be made of "selected lumber," or material of equivalent strength, firmly bolted or nailed together and may be job site fabricated or a manufactured assembly. Construction may be as illustrated in Plate C-18, Appendix, or alternate designs may be used provided equivalent or greater strength is afforded.
(2) Gallows-type frames shall be securely tied back to solid construction on the roof at all times while in use or in the case of designs incorporating counterbalancing means, shall be counterbalanced with items or materials which will not be used in performing the work which is being done during the period the hoist is being used.
(3) If a tieback is used, the tieback shall be of Manila rope not less than 3/4-inch in diameter, or equivalent, tied securely to the tailpiece, stretched tight and lashed to an object on the roof suitable to provide secure anchorage to hold the frame in place when loaded.
(4) Gallows-type frames are for single line hand use and muscle power only. Any attachment of a power system, winch, hoist, or blocks is prohibited.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. Amendment of subsection (b)(4) filed 10-30-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 44).
Go Back to Article 30 Table of Contents