| Return to index
(a) A limited access zone shall be established whenever a masonry wall is being constructed. The limited access zone shall conform to the following:
(1) The limited access zone shall be established prior to the start of construction of the wall.
(2) The limited access zone shall be established on the side of the wall which will be unscaffolded.
(3) The width of the limited access zone (measured perpendicularly from the base of the wall on the unscaffolded side) shall be equal to the height of the wall to be constructed plus four feet. The limited access zone shall run the entire zone of the wall. If the width of the limited access zone can not be attained because the wall being constructed is located adjacent to the property line or adjacent to a structure, the width of the limited access zone shall be the width permitted by the obstruction of the property line or structure.
(4) The limited access zone shall be restricted to entry by employees actively engaged in constructing the wall. No other employee shall be permitted to enter the zone.
(5) The limited access zone shall remain in place until the wall is adequately supported to prevent collapse unless the height of wall is over eight feet, in which case, the limited access zone shall remain in place until the requirements of section 1722(b) have been met.
(b) All masonry walls over eight feet in height shall be adequately braced to prevent overturning and to prevent collapse unless the wall is adequately supported through its design and/or construction method to prevent overturning or collapse. The bracing shall remain in place until permanent supporting elements of the structure are in place.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section 142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 10-22-90; operative 11-21-90 (Register 90, No. 48).
Go Back to Article 29 Table of Contents